Monday, March 21, 2011

Assessing my Blogging... Nail or Fail?

Over the course of my senior year at St. Marks High School, this blogging project has been the most interesting. For one, it allows me to express my opinion over certain matters that I find relevant to the world. It also allows me to see the opinions of other students in my class, which is interesting because it lets me get another perspective on a subject. 
I have been blogging for nearly two quarters of my senior year, and as the year has passed by, I have learned many things about blogging that have influenced my blogs. For instance, I have learned that blogs are more popular if the writer has a certain theme, or they write about certain topics. It is also a great idea to tag certain subjects in the posts. Over the course of these two quarters, my blogging has been quite sporadic. By this term, I mean that during both quarters I have a certain month that has an increasingly greater amount than any other time, like November (2nd quarter) and February (3rd quarter). This sparks my curiosity and makes me wonder why I have so many views then but not at any other times. Maybe it’s the topic I chose to write about? For example, in November I talked about the football team’s championship run, while in February I talked about the power of music, which got many more views than any other post that month. All in all however, my blogging has not changed at all over the passing of the two quarters. Now I must persist with my blogging in an attempt to gain viewers from the rest of the globe.
Like I mentioned earlier, the most popular post I had in the third quarter was my one about the diversity of music, which is always an entertaining and interesting topic to write about. This is the case because many people like different kinds of music, and there are always opinions and ratings about new songs that come out or about new artists. These reasons probably made it the most popular. The other posts that were popular were the one about my unique contribution to our literature class (because it was required to post on it), and the post about how the football team was back in the championship for the second consecutive year. This post was popular because most students were going to attend the game, and many were excited for what was about to happen, which is understandable. There will be plenty of posts like this to come in the future of the Realm’s blogging.
From looking at my referring sites, I realize that most of my viewers came from google and facebook. This could be the case from when I posted on facebook for people to view my blog in desperation, but the google views could be from if someone was looking up something, or if they were going to Healigan’s site because I tagged some of my posts under Healigan (it worked really well). What I learned from this is that people look up a wide range of subjects, and will view whatever if it is interesting enough.
Right now, as the quarter comes to a close, I do not think I have any questions about the blogging. I feel this is the case because I now know what to do correctly in order to get more viewers. What did work for me was the labeling of subjects in my posts, but I am not sure what did not work (topic for another post, maybe?). Honestly, however, I believe that I deserve a B. The reason is that I tried in every way to get more viewers, but to no avail it didn’t work as well as I thought. As I tried harder, though, I found out that I was getting more views as time went by, which began to get my hopes up. This makes me wonder what the audience likes. What I learned from them is that they like certain topics that are of interest to them; things that are interesting to talk about; or things that someone can express their opinion about (music for example). This makes me think that for my future blogs, I must think of a controversial topic that sparks interest in both myself and my viewers. My writer’s persona, on the other hand, has not changed in my mind. The reason is that I have not changed how I write, I merely change what I am writing about. This change in my topics has opened me up to new viewers, which I hope to keep on getting. Until then, I will keep on blogging and hope to attract new viewers in order to bring my blog into fruition.








OverviewRefresh







Now

Day

Week

Month

All time
2010 May – 2011 March


Posts
More ▸
Nov 4, 2010, 6 comments
16 Pageviews
Mar 6, 2011, 3 comments
13 Pageviews
Nov 27, 2010, 6 comments
12 Pageviews
Dec 23, 2010, 6 comments
9 Pageviews
Nov 11, 2010, 4 comments
8 Pageviews



Traffic Sources
More ▸


Pageviews by Countries
United States
249
Denmark
10




No comments:

Post a Comment