Saturday, November 27, 2010

We're Back

Yesterday was a momentous event in Saint Marks High School history. It was the first time ever that the Spartan football program had beaten Salesianum twice in one season; in fact it was the first time that any team had beaten Sallies twice... ever. This makes it that much better especially for those of us who are a member of the team.
This also means one other thing. That we have a chance for another run at the DIAA State Championship. We all remember what happened last year, which was quite depressing, but I feel that this year will be different, especially since the team that beat us last year is not in the tournament anymore.
All the team has to do though is come out strong; play a full four quarters of football; and do what we have been doing for twelve games this season, which is control the line of scrimmage and run the football. After this has been done and our captains are holding the trophy above their heads, we can finally say after three years of waiting that we are officially the best team in the state of Delaware.
This championship would mean so much for everyone because it has been thirty-two years since the last Saint Marks football team won the State Championship in 1978. So everyone should come and support us, we play next Saturday, December 4. Kickoff is at 2:00, so be there and show your support.

6 comments:

  1. I am smiling so big it hurts. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene I love this! I will definitely be at the game December 4, 2010! I was at the playoff game against Salesianum and it truly was momentous. It was a great game and I am proud of the football team. Everyone has worked so hard to make everyone proud and I hope that after 32 years, the Saint Mark's Spartans bring home a football state championship trophy! I am very excited for the game! GO SAINT MARK'S!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The game has been changed to 7:30pm kickoff just so everyone knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy the game was moved to 7:30! I thought I was going to miss it because I have work but now I will be there! It was so exciting to hear we beat Sallies for the second time this season! I know everyone on the team is so proud and you should be because you have done so well. You guys deserve this and I can't wait to see you beat Middletown on Saturday! GO GENE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gene I come to see and support you. My hopes and dreams will drive you to kick come Middletown A**. It has been a great season of football and anything less then that W will be a huge shot to the SMH community. Needless to say, even though it is impossible to lose, still a great season whatever the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, wait, wait, this is the first time we've ever beat Salesianum twice in a season?! I knew this was a huge deal, but way to put it into perspective for me. I am incredibly proud to be leading the band with Kim this year to help push you guys and the crowd to a win. Congratulations on the perfect season, and I want you guys to know that you have the full support of the band and dancers and cheerleaders. When it comes to St. Mark's football, you guys are the best there ever was. Wear that title with pride without letting it go to your head and you'll take us to victory, I know it.

    GOOD LUCK!
    http://i54.tinypic.com/2l946ed.png

    ReplyDelete