Thursday, November 11, 2010

Senior Superlative Stress

Senior year is flying by. The Welcome Dance has passed and our last Spirit Week has gone by; but with the ending of these events comes something new, something totally different. That something is Senior Superlatives. Senior Superlatives are when all of the seniors vote for students who represent different topics of interest: friendliest, best all around, most dramatic, etc.
During this time, most students hope to win a senior superlative, but because there are many students it is not really easy to win. So in order for someone to win a senior superlative, they go around suggesting to people what they want to be voted for, or they go around telling people to vote for them, or they just write their name on someone’s paper. This, in my opinion, is extremely annoying.
The reasons I am annoyed by this are: one, some people want to be picked for a topic that doesn’t suit them; two, some students take it as a joke and put down people who don’t match the categories; and three, they keep asking you to write them down, even though you probably won’t put them down for that certain category. Then, after the fact that I already said I might vote for them, they tell me reasons why I should vote for them. It drives me crazy when people do this, so in the end, they probably won’t be getting my vote. Oh well, too bad for them.
However, even though this is kind of stressful, by the time they officially elect who won each category every student is going to be interested in who won; even though some students have already been predicted to win some topics, and probably will. 

4 comments:

  1. GENO I could not possibly agree more. This entire week has officially been terrible because of all this crap about Senior Superlatives. It is a complete joke. I wish they would just have it online on the website and we could just vote and be done with it... 3 days of non-stop papers being passed around are literally getting on my last nerve. I cannot wait for tomorrow to be over. Also, those papers require almost 100 names... we have almost 400 in our grade, so almost 1/5-1/4 of the seniors will get the t-shirt... Those who don't will be devastated and I guarantee someone gets exceedingly angry over losing something that doesn't matter and should not affect their lives. <3 Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a bad time to tell you I voted you for most talkative? I couldn't resist. I think that the majority of the class agrees with you on this topic, Gene- even the ones who are being annoying about it. The funny part is not only the aggressiveness that people are taking in campaigning for their desired superlatives, but also the incongruence of the superlatives with the people. The amount of people who have begged and hovered over me to put them down as nicest is astounding- how can't they see that that is so not nice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo I'm pretty sure I said all of this in class Gene. Way to steal my idea. But I agree with it all. Senior Superlatives are very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that Senior Superlatives will be a joke for some categories. For some categories it will basically be a popularity contest on how many people that person could get to vote for them. Senior superlatives should be assigned to people who actually have that quality, not a quality they think they have and the rest of us all totally disagree about. For some superlatives this wont be the case, and the person who does deserve it will probably get it, but for others who ever doesnt win will be devastated over a shirt that they get to wear in a yearbook. In 10 years those shirts probably wont matter, nor will they be a big deal.

    ReplyDelete