Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Believe...

Throughout our entire lives, there are things we have believed in. These things range from the utterly simple to the complex ideas that we formulate over the duration of our existence. The challenges with these beliefs each individual holds are, that at any moment in time they can be challenged and argued over. The most difficult thing about our beliefs, however, in regard to these challenges is the ability we have to defend what we believe in. I mean it’s easy to poke holes through someone’s opinion no matter what it may be, but if someone can defend their beliefs it makes them even more believable.
This topic comes to my mind because my entire life I have encountered instances where my beliefs have come into question. These times have occurred from when I was a young tyke, to my present state of a young adult. These events have caused me to defend my beliefs, as well as question them, and have helped me become the man I am today. 
The first instance where my beliefs were questioned, I remember, was when I was eleven. This was the time in my life when I realized something catastrophic... that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny didn’t exist. Now you can imagine an eleven year old boy thinking to himself how that could be, but I ended up accepting it because it was a pretty farfetched belief that there was a giant bunny hopping around, and that a fat man could fit through a chimney. I mean come on! From then on, I had the ability to question my own beliefs, and view from my own perspective which ones were logically correct in my opinion, of course. However, there has always been one belief of mine that has always been present in my mind. One that no matter what I do seems to get more complex. This belief that remains is the one I have known since a young age: my religious faith.
Since I was a young boy, I have been raised as a Roman Catholic, and I have followed these beliefs my entire life. These beliefs have given me examples to live by and helped me become the person that stands before you today. Nonetheless, I have questioned this belief before, but I end up believing in it no matter what comes into question. This strong belief in the religious doctrines of Catholicism, or faith, has allowed to to stay true to my beliefs. Over the recent years, though, my faith has come into question more frequently, because I have met people who have no faith, Atheists if you will. They have made me question my faith, and have made me seek into the depths of my beliefs what is fact and what is fiction. The struggle seemed to go on forever, but no matter what I couldn’t make up my mind. Eventually, I reached a point where I didn’t know what to believe in. Nevertheless, my faith prevailed in the end. Along with this, it did help me realize one important thing: that it is our faith that helps us understand what we believe in, not the logic that comes from those same beliefs.
This intrigues me to find out what others believe in, religiously and in any other aspects. It also makes me wonder what other people believe that the definition of faith actually is. For my readers, I ask you to express your opinions about the subject at hand and feel free to comment on my opinion as well. Speak your mind. Feel free to say whatever you want, because after all, it is your own beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment