Friday, May 20, 2011

It's Finally "Over"

Now to follow up my posts on American music, hip hop, and the artist Drake, I’m deciding to get more specific by blogging about one of Drake’s songs. So I’m just here thinking of what song to choose, I mean there are so many superb songs to choose from. There’s “I’m Goin’ In”, “Successful”, “Thank Me Now”, and his brand new hit “I’m On One” in which he is featured. The decision is pretty difficult, but I’m going to go with one of my favorite Drake songs to date: “Over”.
Let me give you people a little background on this single. “Over” served as the lead single for Drake’s debut album Thank Me Later. It was written by Drake himself, as well as his friend Boi-1da. It was released to the public on March 8, 2010, and is a midtempo hip-hop song featuring an orchestral backdrop. It basically describes Drake’s induction to fame. 
To me this song is a lot more than great beats and lyrics, it instead tells a story about Drake himself saying how he has gone so far with his music. It describes how he will become famous, and everything people should expect from him. The song also says in the chorus that he’s going to keep singing and doing his thing for the rest of his life. “Over” also marks the beginning of his official career, being his first single of his debut album. It put him on the Billboard Hot 100 again, at number fourteen, and ranked number one on the rap songs chart and number two on the hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. It was Drake’s fourth consecutive top twenty hit in the U.S., and received a nomination for Best Rap Solo Performance at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards.
Many critics viewed this song, and most of them thought of it as a good song. Most of them, in fact, believed that Drake was worthy of the hype he was getting, and compared this song to those of Kanye West. Yet, there was one critic, Henry Adaso, who dismissed the song. He was not pleased with the chorus and called Drake’s rhymes redundant and preposterous. He also called the song a disappointment. I completely disagree with this man. “Over” was by far one of the best songs Drake has ever written and sung. Its beat with its orchestral backdrop is kickin’; and the lyrics aren’t just words on the song, they have meaning to them. I don’t know what this guy was thinking but he must have some ear wax or something in his ears, because this was one of the best pieces of music I have ever laid my ears on.
There was also a music video made for this song, which can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lTB1pIg1y0. I highly recommend it, because it has an interesting viewpoint during the video as you see Drake in a room with some crazy stuff happening around him. Hopefully though, this is a prelude to what Drake has in store for us in his next upcoming album. Until then we can only appreciate what he has for us now, and expect what greatness he has to come. 

1 comment:

  1. I like that song. :) It reminds me of my soccer team because many of the girls would sing it at practice or games. I agree with you, Gene. This song does tell a story and the words really do have meaning to them.

    ReplyDelete